Leading security analysts have stated that the data breach has reflected how the social media giant’s data security measures are not fool-proof when it comes to safeguarding sensitive user information.
With this breach cybercriminals were able to publish the personal information of over 500 million Facebook users on the internet.
At present, the source of the
massive data breach is yet to be discovered. However, it has been revealed that the sensitive user data was leaked due to the misuse of legit features of Facebook. This happens when attackers take benefit of the legit functionality of a platform to gain access to user data. A similar incident occurred with PayID in 2019.
Reports state that the leaked Facebook records contain sensitive user information such as gender, relationship status, names, location, date of birth, employment status, and more. However, it is believed that only a few of the leaked files had information about legitimate email addresses. The leaked user details could still be used for phishing attacks or sending spam messages.
- Creating a strong Facebook is not that difficult. Simply follow the below-mentioned steps:
- Keep the Facebook password long
- Never use the same password on different accounts
- Use a password that is hard to guess and remember
- Try using a different language to create a password
- Use unfamiliar words, take inspiration from poems
- Update passwords regularly